Chloe Anthony Wofford Morrison, known as Toni Morrison, was an American novelist, essayist, book editor, and college professor. Her first novel, The Bluest Eye, was published in 1970. The critically acclaimed Song of Solomon brought her national attention and won the National Book Critics Circle Award. Toni Morrison won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1993. Here are 10 fiction novels written by Toni Morrison:
1. The Bluest Eye: The Author’s First Novel; A young African American main character yearns to fit into a world that doesn’t yet value her natural beauty.
2. Love: Three generations of black women lay claim to a man’s estate in his untimely death. His daughter, co-worker, wife and mistress argue their place in his life while grabbing hold of what they are due.
3. Song of Solomon: A coming-of-age story of an African American man trying to self-actualize love, wealth and power within a daunting Black American societal truth.
4. Paradise: A murder mystery in a exquisitely imagined all-Black Town.
5. Sula: Childhood Friends evolve into enemies as life takes their journeys down very different paths.
6. Jazz: Love leads to deadly Obsession.
7. Tar Baby: A Forbidden Love Story.
8. Beloved: A former slave running from the past in which she sometimes yearns to return.
9. Home: A War vet trying to save his sister and heal from their familial past.
10. A Mercy: A Young educated slave looking for love.
11. God Help the Child: A present day coming of age story about a mother/daughter relationship.
What book would you recommend we read next?
Happy reading my friends,